Monday, March 29, 2010

So, today was a typical training day for me, which is both good and bad. Good, because I feel happy to be back. Bad, because I feel like most traditional coaches (except maybe RayK) would scoff at my training practices. For whatever reason, I feel the need to run 20 miles a day. I always have, and probably always will. I know that my 20 miles are filled with "junk miles," but I like them. They make me feel strong, and when the going gets tough in a 24 hour race, I know that I have lots of miles logged. But, that doesn't help me be fast, now does it? Basically, my motto is, if you only have time for one, pick mileage. You will naturally get faster, but speedwork will not give you endurance. Make sense?

So, now I am adding speedwork. I have had a big base for 4 years, so I feel safe adding some speed. My problem: I really don't like speed. But such is life. I have to suck it up and add it to my training. I have been comfortable cruising 3:30 training marathons where I can run before and after to get a nice 50 miler, but it is time to suck it up and RUN. Yikes! Slow and long is my specialty. Fast and short is, well...uncomfortable. And I hate being uncomfortable. I hate that feeling in my stomach that says "This sucks!". But I am bored with LSD (long slow distance). And I don't want to quit running. I just want to try something new. But I also don't want any of any of my new runners to take this as an endorsement of speed over distance. You really can't add speed until you have the requisite distance in place. Distance always trumps speedwork in ultrarunning.

Food: Cream of Asparagus soup (recipe adapted from the Silver Palate Cookbook), chicken salad, and green salad with sunflower seeds and dressing.

Happy Running!

No comments: